|Place of origin||Greece|
|Behind the Scenes|
Centaurs (or, more correctly referred to as Hippocentaurs) are a race of beings originating from Greek mythology, where they were usually noted as a brutal, warlike tribe. Like many other beings from ancient legend, they appear like a combination of different creatures. Specifically: they have the head, arms and torso of a human being attached to an equine body, complete with four legs and a tail. The females are described as being quite beautiful. Their fur may be of numerous different colors.
A notable member of this species was the wise sage known as Chiron, whose scholarly interests thoroughly set him apart from the more savage majority.
In popular media
Centaurs are one of the most popular creatures to appear in fantasy-themed media, behind elves and dwarves, and more recently also behind orcs and goblins. The name has also been used more than once in more science fiction-driven content, although usually in a more vague form. Many creatures inspired by the Centaurs have been created in numerous universes as well, based on the idea of a humanoid upper torso and a mount animal for the lower half. These are often dubbed "centaurs" as well by fans of such media, although this is technically incorrect.
Works featuring centaurs
- A Centaur's Life, a.k.a. Centaur's Worries, by Kei Murayama.
- Asterix and Obelix All at Sea, by Albert Uderzo.
- The Centaurs (Les Centaures), by Pierre Seron.
- Monster Musume, a.k.a. Daily Life with a Monster Girl, by Okayado.
- Les Centaures, by André Lichtenberger
- The Faery Convention, by Brett Davis
- Harry Potter series, by J. K. Rowling.
- Percy Jackson & the Olympians series, by Rick Riordan
- The Chronicles of Narnia, by C.S. Lewis.
- The Neverending Story, by Michael Ende (only appear in the novel).
- Xanth series, by Piers Anthony.
- Bakugan (Zentaur)
- Hercules: The Legendary Journeys and Xena: Warrior Princess
- The Mighty Hercules
- Fantasia, a 1940 animated film by Walt Disney.
- Step Brothers
- Dungeons & Dragons
- Age of Mythology
- God of War
- Guild Wars
- Hero Wars (Centaur Archer, Centaur Legionnaire, Centaur Warrior)
- Mega Man (as Centaur Man)
- Might and Magic series
- Mortal Kombat
- Shining Force series
- Skylanders (Knight Mare)
- Titan Quest